Thursday, January 31, 2008

Extra good-bits

This is mostly for Ian, but I'm getting a little HTML under my belt these days--thank the website I guess. In the last post, I used the <a href> </a> clause to display the link. There's, to my mind, nearly infinite ways to create a link, but the one I keep coming back to most often is this one and it allows the inclusion of an extra piece (target="_blank") which does something potentially VERY useful! - open another window.

When your link looks like this:

<a href="NAME OF SITE.COM" target="_blank">NAME YOUR LINK</a>

(just replace the name of side and the name of link with whatever you like--do this on the "edit html" tab of the blog window) then you've got a link to wherever you want that reads whatever you want AND it opens a brand new window.

Pretty schnazzy ;0

It's really weird that this is descried as an unsavory tactic, seems like most links to external sites can be handled this way--and when you put the default target to blank in the header BUT change internal links back to self to prevent new windows WITIHN a site...seems just plain smart. Anyway, I also had some fun finding a javascript media-player I hope you enjoy.

And, lastly, let me leave you with with "the album meme" should you want to create your own album covers such that currently gracing my recordings page.

Instructions:

1 - Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
The first random Wikipedia article you get is the name of your band.

2 - Go to Random quotations: http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3
The last four words of the very last quote of the page is the title of your first album.

3 - Go to flickr's "explore the last seven days" http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days/
Third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.

No comments: