Wednesday, March 14, 2007

300 Review

So my team went out to see 300 the other night so I figured that I would drop a quick review. Overall, it was a solid movie to see, especially in the theater, but I ended up not quite as impressed as I thought I would be.

On the plus side, the cinematography, staging, costumes and action were all superb. I especially enjoyed the costumes and design on the Persian side. So maybe King Xerxes was not really a nine foot tall, pierced, androgenous Yul Brynner but he sure did look cool as one. The action was also well planned and fun to watch and the gore level didn't seem to bother me like Sin City did. Although have no doubts, it is very gory, it's just that gore in a historical battle context does not bug me as much as other types of violence.

On the down side, I was actually not too impressed by the script of the movie. It seemed to be trying to let the cinematography speak for itself, but the acting and lines still fell flat to my ears at several points. Most of the dialog just seemed like filler between one sassy Spartan one-liner and the next and none if it had the emotional impact of other histo-gory-dramas (Gladiator for example). Perhaps this has to do with the Spartan stoic nature, but it still was a minus to me.

Also the nudity in this movie was constantly bizzare and borderline exploitive. That may have been the point, but both Xerxes' tent and visiting the Oracle were sexually creepy enough for me to lose enjoyment in the movie and to break the narrative.

~Ian

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, we still want to see it, and I'm sure I'll like it just for the visuals alone, but I was worried after I read this review: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/09/movies/09thre.html?8dpc
Although it is exciting that these same moviemakers are planning on doing Watchmen next. That would be great! You read that or V for Vendetta yet, E? You'd like 'em. I can bring them to Colorado this summer if you're interested.

Ian Huff said...

Well, that review just sounds more to me like a film reviewer trying to be a hero by bucking the current trend. He would probably lap up something like Hero, another movie with stiff acting but pretty cinematography. Or would say "the balletic violence and blood sprays harken back in a homage to classical kung fu flicks" about Kill Bill even though the violence in Kill Bill is heavier and has less of a point then 300. Seems more like they went into the movie looking to dislike it.

Karen said...

Slightly tangent to this discussion, I had the hardest time trying to read V for Vendetta. I just can't do the whole comic book thing. I get so muddled as to who is who. Dad ,on the other hand, is working through Watchmen, and will be done by Colorado and can bring the books. I don't know anything about this movie!